Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Ibiza Tapas Restaurant and Wine Bar

7 Strong Ave
Northampton, MA 01060
(413) 303-0808
www.ibizatapaswinebar.com/

Highly Recommended

Ok, so it has been a long time since I have posted anything. I mean, a really long time. Honestly, between being really busy and being stuck in (no offense to the people who live in the Springfield Massachusetts area) the culinary hole in the universe that is Springfield/West Springfield/Westfield MA since June there just hasn't been much to write about. Recently, however, I made the leap and moved my lodging to the Northampton/Amherst area and lo-and-behold the universe is whole again. The prime motivator for me moving my lazy ass was the discovery of Ibiza Tapas. I drove past the place while wandering around late in the afternoon last Sunday (coincidentally my birthday) and decided to turn around and go investigate. I had my doubts. The place was quiet. Too quiet. Tapas bars are supposed to be crowded places with noisy groups and huddled couples but this place was almost empty. There was one other table occupied and they left soon after I sat down. I tucked myself into a corner and was quickly greeted by a cheerful waitress and then everything changed.


I started with the Coca de Sardina con Coliflor (Grilled fresh sardines on toast with cauliflower puree sun-dried tomatoes, scallions and olives with extra virgin olive and sea salt $6.75). I was served four beautiful toast points topped with a wonderfully smooth and soft puree of cauliflower, rich, earthy sardines and a salsa of tomatoes and olives. It was amazing.

I followed with Txipirones en su Tinta (Baby squid cooked in its own ink served with Bomba rice $8.75). The stew of tiny squid rings lurking in a sauce jet black with ink and paired with a brilliant white side of sweet starchy rice was sublime. The minimalist presentation made the dish all the more striking.

Next on the list was the Shrimp and bay scallop ceviche, marinated in citrus, coconut and saffron ($8.75). This dish was a bit of a disappointment. The presentation of the stark white ceviche in a martini glass was at first intriguing but I found the dish to be more soup-like than ceviche, lacking in seafood. The glass was mostly full of the marinade (which was delicious) but the overall liquidity of the dish was a little off putting.

All was forgiven once I took a bite of the Paquetitos de Callos con Chorizo y Garbanzos (Raviolis of chorizo, chickpeas, and tripe, with roasted dry red bell pepper sauce, $6.75). I can't even begin to describe this dish. It was a religious experience. The pasta was soft and smooth but had a wonderful resiliency to it. The filling was savory with just a hint of sweetness and it was all accentuated by the occasional tug on the tooth by the tripe.

By now I was stuffed but I also felt like I was on a mission. There were still things on the menu to try, damn it. So I loosened my belt and ordered the Pimientos del Piquillo (Wood roasted piquillo peppers stuffed with oxtail). I was so glad I loosened the notches on my belt. Sweet roasted peppers filled with voluptuous oxtail. It was a perfect ending to the meal.

Ok, so it wasn't the end of the meal. My waitress (By the way, did I mention she was excellent?) convinced me that my night would not be complete without having the Croquetas de Chocolate (Chocolate and almond croquettes with coconut foam and lemon gelatin, $6.50). 4 large tablespoons arrived each laden with a small, warm, almond crusted truffle nestled in a pool of lemon gelee topped with a coconut infused foam. "You have to take it all at once" the waitress ordered. I did as I was told and this perfect spoonful of dessert delivered what she promised (my night would not have been complete). The truffle pops releasing the warm, smooth chocolate ganache, followed by the sweet scented coconut foam. Just when I thought this was going to be too sweet for my tastes the tart lemon gelee kicked in to bring everything back down to earth.

I have gone back since and sampled the Jamon Serrano (Imported Serrano Ham from Spain $8.75) and it was excellent; the Boquerones (Marinated fresh anchovies on crispy olive oil toast, escabeche of beets and lump fish roe $7.75) were indescibable; the Pulpo Asado (Grilled Galician octopus, caramelized onions, potatoes, smoked paprika vinaigrette $8.75) was tender and succulent; the Albondigas de la Abuela (Spanish veal and pork meatballs with potato, pepper, white wine and saffron broth $7.75) while a little salty had everything you could want in a plate of comfort food, and; last (but by far not least) the Croquetas de Bacalao (Cod fish croquettes served with aïoli $6.50) were perfect litte spheres, with crisp exterior with silken interior.

Yes, I did have one other dessert too...Torrija de Queso (Bread pudding with fresh cheese, dulce de leche ice cream and sweet and sour strawberry sauce $6.00) which is a work of art. Sweet, sour, savory all rolled into one.

A few additional notes...the wine list is extensive and very inexpensive with some real bargains. The portions are larger that I am used to for tapas so dining with 2 or more is the best way to go. Finally, this place is cheap! Between the reasonable prices and the large serving sizes you can get out of there with dinner for 2 (including wine and tip) for well under a sixty five. I suggest 4 plates for 2 people.

If you are in the Northampton area go now, go often before everyone finds out about it and the line is out the door. They don't take reservations.

No comments: