Saturday, July 12, 2008

May's Restaurant

5640 Urbana Pike (RT 355)
Frederick, MD 21704

(301) 662-4233
http://www.maysrestaurant.com/
Map

Highly Recommended

From what I can tell May's Restaurant is a legend in Frederick. It was recommended to be by several bar tenders, a gas station attendant and the guy I asked for directions on my way there. An unassuming storefront on the Urbana Turnpike the restaurant consists of a main dining room and a large outdoor patio filled with picnic tables. The menu is extensive so I suggest you check the website for specifics.

I had been to May's for lunch and found the food and service to be excellent. I had a very large fried fish sandwich made with very fresh flounder that was served steaming hot with ample fries, slaw and malt vinegar. I managed to clean my plate but just barely.

The night I went I was with a large party (20+/-) and we were seated outside. The service was very good, maybe a bit slow, but nothing to be upset about. This isn't the kind of place where you want to hurry through your meal. I ordered the "all-you-can-eat" crabs for $30.00 and it was worth every penny. After about 10 minutes out came a large platter of brick red, steaming hot Maryland blue crabs dusted liberally with Old Bay seasoning. My neighbor and I were the only ones to order the crabs and we were the envy of the table. These crabs are served "in the rough" and take some work to break into but the reward is well worth it. There was plenty of meat in each and the process of extracting the morsels makes them all the more worthwhile.
After the first couple of crabs I got the hang of butchering them and set into a productive rhythm. I think I put away about 15 or so of the large crustaceans before I had to refuse the waitress's offer for more. There are small wooden mallets on the tables to help with the demolition. I suggest wearing clothes that can handle abuse and don't plan to go anywhere after your meal other than the laundry room and shower. The meal came with a very small serving of crab soup (which reminded me of minestrone with crab) and a small serving of coleslaw. I was also supposed to get hush puppies, corn and French fries but since I viewed these as filler I didn't complain.

I didn't pay to much attention to my fellow diners while I was eating. I was enjoying myself far to much to worry about any one else. I did see a generous plate of Dungeness Crab claws out of the corner of one eye, snow crab clusters out of the corner of the other, and what may have been crab cakes and an overstuffed baked potato across the table from me but I can't be sure. Comparing notes the next day, however, I could not find a complaint in the group.

I may try asking for my crabs in smaller batches next time. I found that by the time I got through the pile the last crabs were cold making the meat a bit less cooperative coming out of the shell. I will also be sure to go early, skip lunch and bring my own bib. Also, May's doesn't do separate checks and they add gratuity to large parties.

No comments: